On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply projection mapping techniques in their creative practice.
- Apply real-time video and image processing techniques in their work.
- Identify their strengths in creating experimental audiovisual content.
- Further develop their artistic style.
Audiovisual Studio is an advanced studio course that explores real-time video art, generative art and audiovisual performances through hands-on experimentations, lectures and screenings.The topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- Experimental video art
- Real-time video
- Generative art
- Projection mapping
Although the course introduces various tools for interactive audiovisual art, the use of any specific software or programming environment is not required. Students are expected and encouraged to develop their personal strengths and existing skills to find their own distinctive styles and workflows as audiovisual artists.
Although no specific software is a requirement to use for the final project of the course, a large portion of the contact teaching hours are used to introduce various techniques and workflows using software called TouchDesigner. Students can install the free version of TD on their personal computers. We also have the educational version of TouchDesigner installed in the room L208 where the lectures also take place.
Spaces, Studios and Workshops
- The classes always start in room L208, we will also do some experiments in room G203 (Experimental Studio) each lecture.
- Throughout the entire period, room G203 is booked for us for working. There will be some Desktop PCs with Touchdesigner installed, projectors, and other equipment for you to use.
- G203 is booked for us for the entire course, so use that for independent work outside the lectures.
The Media Lab Home Base room O102 is also equipped with a projector, two powerful computers with Touchdesigner installed, surround sound and other equipment. Use that room also for working independently. Make sure you book it from the MyCourses Homebase Scheduler. If needed, I can book the room R106 for independent work for you. It has HTC Vive Pro, two projectors, DMX lights, and a powerful computer with TD installed.
- Book the Mechatronics workshop whenever you need to use it.
- Book the the Open photostudio whenever you need to use it.
Schedule (Spring 2021)
Group A | Tuesday, March 2, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 3, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Media Archaeology, Phantasmagoria and Magic Lanterns
- Tool | TouchDesigner Basics
Group A | Thursday, March 11, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Friday, March 12, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Matti is going to be in the admissions interviews. We are going to switch the dates for AV Studio and Embodied Interaction. So Embodied Interaction is on Tuesday and Wednesday, AV Studio on Thursday and Friday.
- Inspiration | Abstract Animation
- Inspiration | John Whitney, Scanimate, Motion Graphics with Analog Computers
- Tool | Techniques for real-time image processing with TouchDesigner
Group A | Tuesday, March 16, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 17, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Nam June Paik, Scratch Video, Hexstatic, Video DJing
- Inspiration | Interactive Installations
- Inspiration | Generative Art
- Tool | Working with 3D in TouchDesigner
- Tool | Depth Cameras (Kinect, Azure Kinect DK, RealSense Cameras)
- Tool | Pointclouds and LIDARs
Group A | Tuesday, March 23, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 24, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Projection Mapping
- Inspiration | Digital Scenography
- Tool | Projection Mapping in TouchDesigner
BOTH GROUPS | Friday, March 26, 2021 | 15:15-17:00
- WIP project presentations (or project idea presentations)
Group A | Tuesday, March 30, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 31, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Tool | How to setup a livestream from TouchDesigner to Twitch (or other streaming service)
- Project work & tutoring
Group A | Tuesday, April 6, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, April 7, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Preparation for the Livestream or exhibition
- Project work and tutoring.
BOTH GROUPS | Friday, April 9, 2021 | 15:15–->
- AV Studio Livestream Event
Week 7 | Exhibition (Shared with Embodied Interaction)
Exhibition will be open during the opening hours of Väre.