This page is an attempt to collect a list of notable artworks, artists, documentaries, papers and other resources related to the course Audiovisual Studio at Aalto Media Lab. The focus is on works that specifically explore the connection between sound/music and visuals, real-time media, or works that have had a significant impact on the field in some other way.
This list is by no means exhaustive and is constantly updating. It is an ongoing research and note-taking process that will probably never come to a conclusion.
It is also important to note that this list is compiled from the perspective of working as an audiovisual artist in Finland.
- 1921, Hans Richter, Rhythmus 21 (silent film)
- 1923, Hans Richter, Rhythmus 23 (silent film)
- 1924, Viking Eggeling, Symphonie Diagonale (silent film)
- 1940, Disney, Fantasia
- Erkki Kurenniemi
- John Whitney
- Nam June Paik
- 1961, John Whitney, Catalog
- 1964, Erkki Kurenniemi, Electronics in the World of Tomorrow
- 1968, John Whitney, Permutations
- 1971 Erkki Kurenniemi & Riitta Vainio Interactive dance performance with DIMI-O synthesizer
- 1972, Bill & Louise Etra, Laser Quantum L
- 197? Bill Etra & Louise Etra, Tales from Beneath the Sheets
- 1973, Bill Etra, Abstractions on a Bedsheet
- 1973, Bill Etra & Louise Etra, Heartbeat
- 1974, Steve Rutt and Bill Etra, Rutt/Etra Video Synthesizer Demo
- 2002, The First Pixelache Festival (the early iterations of the festival were very much focused on VJ culture and audiovisual art, starting from 2009 the focus shifted towards the notion of Commons and art activism)
- 2004, The First Live Performers Meeting
- 2005, The First Mapping Festival