Magic Lanterns and Phantasmagorias
Here you can find more details about the mechanical magic lantern slides:
In Class Example
Let’s create a Chromatrope using TouchDesigner and some scanned Magic Lantern Slides.
- Download some images of slides from here:http://lucerna.exeter.ac.uk/set/index.php?language=EN&id=3009241
- Create a system in TouchDesigner where we can composite different layers together, change the speed of the rotation, switch between different images.
- Experiment with adding more features.
Do these before next week:
We will be reading through the book THE AUDIOVISUAL BREAKTHROUGH during this course. You can find the full pdf online, there are two versions:
- The layout of the actual printed book. This one might be a little hard to read on a computer or mobile device.
- A version more suitable for mobile devices.
Choose whichever feels more comfortable to read and read the first three chapters. (The page amounts look scary, but it’s not actually so much text as it first appears to be).
- Practice and Discourse
- Visual Music
- Expanded Cinema
Also go back to the top of this page and go deeper into the world of Magic Lanterns.
Tools and Techniques
Watch the following videos. The first two are basically a recap of what we did in class. Follow along if you are able to install TouchDesigner on your own computer, or if you connect remotely to the Aalto computers, or if you book some of the afternoon times to work in G203.
We are going to repeat many of these concepts later on, but it’s really important that you grasp the basic operation of TouchDesigner as soon as possible. Come back to these videos anytime you need to.