On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop embodied interactive systems using various techniques and tools, such as gesture recognition, computer-vision tools and biometric sensors.
- Identify and explain the roles of the body, space, and social interaction in designing interactive experiences.
- Apply the notion of proxemics to their creative practice.
- Identify and apply theoretical frameworks for embodied interaction
- Outline and explain historical and contemporary examples of embodied interaction in the context of interactive art and HCI research.
The course presents embodied interaction through lectures, technical demonstrations, and discussions on various related topics. The focus is on creating experimental interactive systems for interactive installations and performances.
The students will explore the topic through readings, small assignments, and a final project presented at the end of the course.
Spaces, Studios and Workshops
- The classes always start in room L208, we will also do some experiments in room G203 (Experimental Studio) each lecture.
- Throughout the entire period, room G203 is booked for us for working. There will be some Desktop PCs with Touchdesigner installed, projectors, and other equipment for you to use. You need to book it when you want to use it.
- The Media Lab Home Base room O102 is also equipped with a projector, two powerful computers with TouchDesigner installed, surround sound and other equipment. Use that room also for working independently. Make sure you book it from the MyCourses Homebase Scheduler.
- If needed, I can book the room R106 for independent work for you. It has HTC Vive Pro, two projectors, DMX lights, and a powerful computer with TD installed.
- Use mfavdi.aalto.fi to remotely access the L208 computers with TouchDesigner
- Book the Mechatronics workshop whenever you need to use it.
- Book the the Open photostudio whenever you need to use it.
Schedule (Spring 2021)
001 Group A | Thursday, March 3 | 9:15-12:00
001 Group B | Friday, March 4 | 9:15-12:00
- Introduction to the course and the topic
- Theory | Brief history of interactive systems and HCI
- Assignment | Start working on the first assignment
002 Group A | Tuesday, March 9 | 9:15–12:00
002 Group B | Wednesday, March 10 | 9:15–12:00
Matti is going to be in the admissions interviews. We are going to switch the dates for AV Studio and Embodied Interaction. So Embodied Interaction is on Tuesday and Wednesday, AV Studio on Thursday and Friday.
- Assignment | Work with your small group on your assignment. Use Zoom, Discord or some other remote collaboration tools. It is not possible to work at the university due to the newly implemented restrictions.
003 Group A | Thursday
003 Group B | Friday
- Assignment | Present your group’s work
- Theory | Proxemics
- Azure Kinect
- Other depth cameras
- Computer Vision
- VR Tracking
004 Group A | Thursday, March 25 | 9:15-12:00
004 Group B | Friday, March 26 | 9:15-12:00
- Tracking technology continued
BOTH GROUPS | Friday, March 26, 2021 | 15:15-17:00
- WIP project presentations (or project idea presentations)
Week 5, Project work and tutoring
005 Group A | Thursday, April 1 | 9:15-12:00
005 Group B | Friday, April 2 | 9:15-12:00 (Holiday, Good Friday)
Week 6, Project work and tutoring
006 Group A | Thursday, April 8 | 9:15-12:00
006 Group B | Friday, April 9 | 9:15-12:00
Exhibition setup in G203.
BOTH GROUPS | Friday, April 9, 2021 | 15:15–->
- AV Studio Livestream Event
Week 7 | Workshop Week
No class. Exhibition will be running in the room G203.